The Hardest Hit Protests - Saturday October 22nd 2011

10/18/2011 11:00:00 am BenefitScroungingScum 3 Comments

Disabled people, those with long-term conditions and their families are being hit hard by cuts to the benefits and services they need to live their lives. The Hardest Hit campaign, organised jointly by the Disability Benefits Consortium (DBC) and the UK Disabled People’s Council, brings together individuals and organisations to send a clear message to the Government: stop these cuts. You can find our key messages in this document.  Key messages on the Hardest Hit

Take action this October

Following our protest in May, when an estimated 8,000 people marched on Parliament, further events are taking place across the UK this month. These events are designed to raise awareness amongst the general public, the media and politicians of our key messages.  Click here to find your nearest event. 
Regardless of whether or not you are able to attend one of the events taking place on October 22, 2011, there are still lots of ways you can get involved to support this campaign. We need your help to really make an impact. It won’t take much time out of your day, but it will make a massive difference to the success of our campaign.
You can:
1. Write to your MP and invite them to attend their local event. We want as many MPs to know what’s about the campaign as possible.
2. Lobby your MP in the week leading up to the event by attending a constituency surgery or writing to your MP, you can help make sure that they are aware of our campaign and the arguments against welfare reform.
3. Write to the editor of your local newspaper. By doing this, you are helping us advertise the events and making sure that as many people as possible know they are happening.
4. Send a Press Release to your local paper, not only will you be sharing your concerns about Government cuts but making sure that as many people as possible know the event is happening.
5. Be a case study. Your story is the most important. Tell decision makers and the media why you support this campaign and help us show the human face of welfare reform.

3 comments:

silver said...

I wrote to mine asking him to stop this change to make CESA 12 month retrospective and he gave me platitudes about how the disabled have nothing to fear from the WCA, I told him that wasn't good enough and he wrote back saying he is happy to take up the case of anyone of his constituents who isn't happy about the treatment they get at an ESA, including me! I hadn't told him I was disabled so it's quite worrying that we have no privacy. he had to find that out from somewhere!

Ron Graves said...

My MP is the egregious Frank Field - can I be excused?

Anonymous said...

I emailed my MP yesterday evening in quite a state after reading Maria Miller's lies about DLA left me curled up in a ball on the floor sobbing my eyes out for half an hour. Fortunately I was rescued by my boyfriend's flatmate who brought me tea and reassurance. My MP replied in under two hours to say yes she had seen the lies and would try to challenge them and then told me all about the Scope report and forwarded it to me! Then she said she hoped to see me at the rally. And she did.

BBC Scotland were there too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15409651